Timeline of Our History About Kanes > Timeline of Our History Corporate Information Customer Comments Our Community Timeline of History News and Events Kane Furniture Corporation is one of the oldest and most respected home furnishing business in Florida. The company was founded in the Spring of 1948 by Maurice A Rothman. The original store was opened in June 1948 and was located on the corner of 8th and Central in downtown St. Petersburg. The building was a two-story, converted rooming house, walk-up, non-air conditioned building with approximately 12,000 square feet of chopped up floor space. We remained at this location for 10 years. Subsequently, Mr. Rothman opened stores in Clearwater, Madeira Beach, Lakeland and Holiday Isle all in converted food markets. The present St. Petersburg store was opened in April 1958. The approximately 50,000 square foot size store was found to be so successful, we closed all the other smaller stores. After St. Petersburg the following construction occurred: 1963 – Tampa 1973 – Clearwater and New Port Richey 1975 – St. Petersburg North Building 1978 – Fort Myers 1986 – Pinellas Park Distribution Center and Corporate Offices 1992 – Port Charlotte and Ocala 1997 – Tampa, Orlando, and Melbourne 2014 – Naples In June 1979, the company acquired Savon Furniture in Sarasota which now operated as a division of Kane’s. In June, 1987, the company acquired Kane’s of Orlando. Savon Furniture has become Kane's Furniture and is the brand our customers have come to trust as the place to buy their home furnishings. In January of 2014 Savon Furniture store's become Kane's Furniture in Sarasota, Ft. Myers and Port Charlotte.